Linux for my home computer (celeron)

After failing to install linux on my home pc, I was on the look out for a compatible linux. I found a friend in "Travis North". Read to find out more....

http://www.linuxforums.org/desktop/a_linux_distribution_for_an_old_laptop.html

I am an avid Linux user. Ever since I was introduced to the alternative operating system over a decade ago, it has grown from a small curiosity to a near obsession. Due to certain hobbies, I haven't entirely given up the Windows OS, but Linux has become my preferred operating system for every day tasks.I currently have three functional computers: My server (which runs Gentoo Linux), the game and MIDI desktop computer (running Windows XP) and a laptop which currently runs Windows XP. My goal is to find a Linux distribution that is appropriate for my laptop without having to remove Windows XP.My laptop has, as of late, become my primary machine for daily use. I use it for e-mail, web browsing, music and web development. To date, almost all of my web page designs have been created using a text editor in my Unix or Linux shell. So even with Windows on my laptop, I was easily able to shell into my server to do my web development. Over the past several months, my use of PHP has increased and my projects are growing more and more complicated. A simple console text editor is no longer sufficient to manage these larger projects. I experimented with several programming interfaces, and I settled on one that best suits my needs: Bluefish. The major drawback about this is the fact that it does not run within Windows. It is designed for the world of Linux and my desire to have Linux on my laptop has overwhelmed me. The problem, however, is that the laptop is also my wife's primary machine. Even though I have tried countless times, I have been unsuccessful in converting her to the world of Linux. As such, Windows XP must stay. Fortunately, the wonders of partitioning and boot managers will allow me to install Linux along side my Windows installation. The only problem is that my laptop isn't what you would call "state of the art".I am faced with a challenge: I need to find a Linux distribution that is both small enough, efficient enough and easy enough to maintain for my laptop. Realizing that all Linux distributions are not created equal, I did my research and was able to narrow my list to a handful of distributions that may be suitable for my needs and my laptop. Throughout the course of this article, I am going to test each of these distributions on my laptop and discuss my experiences. I will attempt to install and evaluate each distribution for a period of a couple of days. Based on my findings, I will select the distribution that best suits my needs.

A Linux Distribution for an Old Laptop - Linux Forums

http://www.linuxforums.org/desktop/a_linux_distribution_for_an_old_laptop.html




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The pesky scrollbars on Remote desktop - Finally fixed!!

Exploring RedCritter - website for Agile project mangement

API Testing with Rest Assured - Validating the json schema